Woo! It’s here, the year 2020! Here are 100 amazing things, in no particular order, that futurists in the past predicted for year 2020.
Image: The IXS Enterprise is a NASA concept for a starship capable of faster-than-light travel. The ship has two thick outer rings that generate a warp field – contracting space ahead, while expanding space behind it. Although such a vessel may be centuries or millennia away from becoming a reality, the idea is being taking seriously by the space agency. – FutureTimeLine
Did these things happen yet? Here are 100 predictions for this year by people in the past:
1. People have relocatable flying houses
2. Houses cleaned by water hoses and flash dryers
3. Houses and furniture made of steel
4. All houses completely fireproof and waterproof
5. Flying cars
6. Roads to be replaced by pneumatic tubes
7. Intelligent apes from breeding programs to be doing all of our manual labor
8. Humans to arrive on Mars
9. Telepathy to be commonplace
10. Teleportation of people and things
11. Portable portals
12. Physical mail delivered by rockets
13. Personal helicopters
14. Private supersonic jets
15. The letters C, X, or Q are removed from the alphabet
16. Women to look like body builders
17. Human feet to become just one big toe
18. Humans using biologically added photosynthesis
19. Disposable socks
20. No buttons, pockets, collars or ties
21. Men never shave
22. Electronic voting from home
23. Tobacco to be out of fashion
24. Coffee and tea to be out of fashion
25. Replacement tooth banks
26. Everyone to be vegetarian
27. All meat is lab grown
28. Nanobots to make eating optional
29. Meals that are a pill
30. Robot therapists
31. Nuclear powered vacuum cleaners
32. No one needs to work
33. Everyone is rich
34. Everyone is able to predict the future
35. Faster than light travel
36. A disintegration ray
37. A shrink ray
38. A Dyson sphere
39. Working hoverboards
40. Time travel
41. Invisible cloaking
42. Storing our minds in computers
43. Human cloning
44. The Matrix, humans living inna virtual world without knowing it
45. All cars are self driving
46. Urine replaces gasoline
47. All cars are electric
48. Cancer is cured
49. Everyone lives to be at least 200 years old
50. All wars are over
51. We have a universally accepted conflict resolution protocol
52. There is no more human slavery anywhere
53. Crime is a brain malfunction easily fixable with a pill
54. Everyone generates their own power and lives off the grid
55. Everyone grows all of their own food
56. We can stop tornadoes
57. We can steer hurricanes
58. Everything is free
59. There is no more money
60. Money is all digital
61. There are no more countries
62. Everyone speaks the same language
63. Translation earbuds allow instantaneous translation
64. We’ve made contact with intelligent aliens
65. Robots clean everything
66. All trash is converted to fuel
67. All power is wireless
68. The world population reaches 8 billion
69. Quantum computers
70. Tractor beams
71. Force fields
72. “Nuke away” spray that makes nuclear waste instantly safe
73. Everyone is their own 24/7 TV channel anyone else can watch
74. Exoskeletons give super strength
75. Fabric self cleans, no washing machines
76. Sonic washing machines
77. Lost species including dinosaurs brought back
78. Typing is done by thinking
79. Lights and appliances respond to gestures
80. All cars have crash avoidance breaking
81. Pizza lasts up to 3 years
82. Every human has internet access
83. There is no more hunger, everyone has food and water
84. Relationships are great: Easy and accurate matchmaking.
85. We have a formula that integrates all fundamental forces in the universe
86. We know what dark matter is.
87. We know what dark energy is.
88. We use neutrinos to communicate.
89. Everyone has a job they enjoy.
90. There is no more harassment.
91. All addictions have been replaced with better ways to spend time.
92. Everyone knows what everyone’s thinking.
93. Everyone has as much privacy as they want at all times.
94. All spiritual and religious differences are resolved.
95. Wooly Mammoths are brought back from extinction.
96. Every species on earth is catalogued.
97. The whole world uses the same units of measurement.
98. Everyone has no cavities, perfect teeth
99. Reverse microwaves to cool things.
100. The 100 Songs of Xeno are finally completed.
Will any of these happen? Well, perhaps during the year 2020. Stay tuned.