According to a story reported by two publications in China, 23 year old Ma Ai Lun died when she answered a call on her Apple iPhone 5 while it was recharging. Details are sketchy and some of the information loses meaning in translation, but it appears that news of the death was originally reported on “Ueybo” which is China’s equivalent of Twitter. Ms. Ai Lun was a flight attendant on China Southern Airlines and was supposed to get married on August 8th.
Forensic investigation has confirmed that the deceased had been electrocuted, which was listed as the official cause of death. Police in China’s Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous region confirmed the incident. The victim’s sister warns other users of the Apple iPhone 5 not to use the device while it is charging.
Horrifying news reports suggest that an iPhone electrocuted a Chinese woman—though it’s very unclear if that happened at all and if the rest of the iPhone-owning public should worry about death by smartphone electrocution. The details from various media reports are murky, making it hard to reach any firm conclusions about the dangers of iPhones. It’s unclear what model of Apple’s popular cell phone the victim, Ma Ailun, used, or if it even came from a legitimate Apple retailer or China’s gray market. Her family insists that she used genuine Apple parts and that the phone was under warranty still. Apple is investigating the situation.
Apple to Sell Charger Replacements Following Counterfeit Safety Concerns
In July, a 23-year-old flight attendant was electrocuted and killed in China when she allegedly picked up her iPhone 5 to answer a call while the battery was charging, the South China Morning Post reported. The woman may have used a knockoff charger
See also: Top 25 Free iPhone Apps of All Time
Apple said its USB Power Adapter Takeback Program is a response to recent reports suggesting “some counterfeit and third party adapters may not be designed properly and could result in safety issues.” Read more…